Tuesday, May 3, 2011

smooshy brain

My brain is mush. It's so mushed that I used a word like "smooshy" in a title.

I'm trying to write a paper for m Holocaust class. We got to pick what our paper is about, so I decided to write about the bystander effect and other psychological elements that were displayed throughout the Holocaust.  It's a huge project and I am freaking out about getting it done by tomorrow. (I also have a painting to finish and interviews to write up that correspond to that paper!) AND, I have another presentation and paper due right before! AAAHHH!!! Today's list isn't much better... Wish me luck! I present another project tonight!


Anyway, for my presentation tonight, we were asked to bring in something (edible) that is a family tradition. It was my professor's way of celebrating the last night of class, but it seemed pretty insensitive to ask us to do that the same night that a major project/paper is due... but that's just me. 

I chose to bake a poppy seed cake, as my mom would make it for my birthday for breakfast. I loved it. It wasn't until I moved out that I realized how expensive it is to make!! 

Poppy Seed Cake

3 C flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 1/2 t butter extract
1 1/2 C milk
3 eggs
2 C sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 t almond extract
3 T poppy seeds
3/4 C oil

Mix all ingredients in mixer to blend well.


Pour into a greased and flowered bundt pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan and then invert to remove.

Glaze with a mixture of:
2 T orange juice
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 t butter extract
1 C powdered sugar

Pour onto cooled cake. My mom uses a pastry brush so it soaks in.



Well, that's all I have time for. I have to head to work and then rush home and get some last minute preparations done for tonight!

I cannot wait for this semester to be over. I promise to be more exciting...

Cheers.

9 comments:

amyschmamey said...

Ok. I need a piece of that. Now. I'm sorry your brain is mush :(. It will all be over soon and I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain right now! I have a ridiculous amount of uni work to do over the next couple of weeks - essays, exams, presentations, yuck. The only thing motivating me is knowing that soon it'll all be over and I'll possibly never have to write an essay ever again! I SO can't wait. Good luck with everything. :)

Collette said...

Best of luck with the paper. It'll all be worth it pet!

And that cake looks divine. I'm tempted to make some right NOW, but that involves a trip to the shops, and it's my day off so bah!

♥ Nadine said...

That cake looks DELISH. I need to try it, for sure!! Thanks for sharing...

Oh girl, I know what you're talking about. I also, cannot wait for this semester to end. But it just started 4 weeks ago. Plus I'm going to do an internship during term break. Oh my... :(

Hope, you'll find some time to relax a little bit. Also, good luck with you paper and everything!!

X.

Gwiddle said...

Good LUCK! You'll do great! Ugh I hated learning/reading/writing papers on the Holocaust {cant spell apparently} It always made me sooooo sooo sad!! THAT poppy seed cake looks so freaaking gooooood! MMM MMMM. Maybe I should find a gluten free recipe and make one for myself. Because I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking about it for the next week! haha. Have a good week!

Jenny said...

see posts like these make me glad I only went to a technical school xD I don't think I could write papers and get any kind of decent grade for them. I'm a crappy writer to begin with. My blog can attest to that xD

Unknown said...

I hate when all the professors give the big assignments due at the same time! It seems like they could coordinate the due dates. I have no doubt that you will pull it all off and do so in stellar fashion.

That lemon poppy seed looks fabulously delicious!! (I agree that the prof was a bit; ok a lot, insensitive.

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

well I must say that the cake looks amazing! Hope everything goes well in class!

Anonymous said...

those books look painful - props to you lady!