Sunday, September 11, 2011

in retrospect

I haven't been around much lately, but life's been almost as busy as it was when I was in school! I think I used to blog more because I was procrastinating... and now that I'm doing the things that I want to do, I have no need to procrastinate online! ha

Life is good. I'm happy.

I'm actually sick right now, and Ant had to work a company picnic today. So... I'm working on his gift to celebrate six months of dating. (can you believe it?!)

I'm so glad that I started blogging. I don't get many comments anymore, and I don't get very many page views... at least not like I did when I was blogging a lot more, but I just went through every single post I've ever written on here, and I'm so glad that I've kept it up. I can see growth, even in the nine months I've been blogging. 

Anyway, today is September 11th, and I'm sure that there will be many blogs writing about the events that happened ten years ago.

I was only eleven, and I had just moved from Chicago to San Antonio to start public school for the first time. I was solving a math problem on the board in my first period class when an announcement was made on the loudspeakers. The rest of the day was a blur; I really didn't know what was going on. It wasn't until I got home and my parents explained some things... and then years later when I was able to comprehend all that had happened.

It's weird hanging out with Anthony and his siblings, because they were all in their twenties when this happened, so it is way more real to them. I was so young... there was no way that I could wrap my mind around it the way that they were able to ten years ago.

I won't pretend to be a politically involved person who knows the ins and outs of all that happens in/for this country, but I would like to thank everyone who has served. I know a lot of people that are in the military, and it's not an easy job. So, my 11 year old self and my 21 year old self thanks you for what you do, then and today.

1 comment:

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

I was in 9th grade. I had just walked into 1st period History when my teacher turned on the tv and the second tower got hit a minute later. One of my classmates shouted. "I was there. I've been to the towers!" You could tell his heart was breaking. The rest of the day was spent watching the news until our parents picked us up. There was no classwork or homework that day. I won't ever forget my shock and grief.